Wishart Law: OC Family Legal Services and More
Phone: 714-529-0111 | Fax: 714-529-7237


Wishart Law – Family Law Attorneys in Brea, CA

At Wishart Law, our attorneys have over 40 years of experience in assisting clients in a wide range of family law matters including Divorce, Annulment & Legal Separation, Parentage/Paternity, Domestic violence, Grandparent’s Rights, Child Custody and Visitation, and much more.

Family Law

While you may not be able to control or predict everything that happens, you can take steps at the beginning to help your attorney get your case started as quickly and efficiently as possible. It may also be possible to save time, money and stress by choosing an alternative to the traditional divorce process.

How To Lessen The Stress Of Your Family Law Matter

  • Learn what your options are from an experienced family law attorney.
  • Seek to find common ground on disputed issues if you can still communicate with your spouse or partner.
  • Assume personal responsibility. Don’t expect that your attorney, the court, or experts will “solve” your problems. They are here to help resolve the disputes, but remember that you are your most valuable asset!
  • Don’t assume you can spend money like you did in the marriage or during the relationship. Be careful how you spend. Create a budget. At the inception of divorce your incomes are the same but now your overhead just went up, because someone likely is moving out.
  • Don’t make negative comments about your spouse to or in front of the children. DO NOT post comments about you personal life on social media. BE VERY CAREFUL when texting your spouse/ partner. Information from social media and/or text can have a significantly negative outcome on your case. When in doubt DON’T send it. DON’T post it.
  • Do provide your spouse/ partner with contact information regarding the child’s residence, schools, doctors, extracurricular activities and/or babysitters.
  • Share positive events and or pictures about your child with the other spouse/ partner.
  • If you are a victim of domestic violence, seek help immediately! If you have a domestic violence restraining order against you, OBEY IT. As long as you show that the problems of the past are in the past the court will want to keep you involved in your child’s life. Limitations due to domestic violence even if under “permanent order”generally will last 1 – 5 years at the longest. While that may seem like a long time, all things pass with time. Be good and you can move past it.
  • If you and your spouse/partner reach an informal ” handshake” agreement to modify support, DO NOT assume that the court will honor it because they will not. Any agreements to change or modify support must be submitted via a formal stipulation or order to be recognized. In short, even if you agreed with your spouse/partner to change support you are still on the hook for the old support orders until the court orders otherwise.
  • Do not engage in “self help” remedies. For example, if she is not providing you with court ordered visitation, you can’t stop paying court ordered support. If he is not paying court ordered support you cannot just cut off court order visitation in retaliation. We can help you when these common problems arise. But if you engage in self help it will damage your case.
  • Life is not fair. But wise and reasonable expectations can help you navigate the family law system.

What To Bring To Your First Consultation

At the beginning of your divorce, perhaps the most important thing you can do is gather your financial documents. Your attorney needs these to start determining how much you and your spouse own in marital assets and debts. This is vitally important to help calculate your rightful share of the property, as well as what your spouse could afford to pay in child or spousal support.

Before meeting with one of our attorneys for the first time, we recommend our clients try to get copies of the following documents:

  • Three most recent pay stubs.
  • Last two years tax returns.
  • Any prior orders or judgments.
  • New filings made by either party since the last order or judgement

Are you ready for a consultation?

Contact Us

Visit Us